Green Acres

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Grandma Sam










Dear Grandma Sam,
I miss our Sunday night visits!! All of your stories of growing up. I always slowed down to listen to those. It reminded me of the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes". I knew the time was coming when I would treasure those phone calls. I always thought that I would fall apart when the time came for you to go. Each time we came to visit I could see you getting a little weaker, not your mind, just your body. It was so hard for me to leave. So much of my heart was still there. When I got the call that you were gone, my first words were, "Good For Her"!! I know you didn't want to leave all the people you loved. I am sure those last few weeks you put up a good fight. Although I have had my moments of tears, they are just selfish tears, I really was so happy for you. The morning of your funeral, I didn't think I was going to be able to get through it, I was crying and so mad I had forgotten waterproof mascara!! We went for a drive out to your grave to put the wreath on before the funeral. I was holding back tears...Mark drove up, and we were debating about putting the wreath out. (We usually go to Mormon funerals, the flowers are already at the church.) I was ready to just get out and set the wreath up, and there were people working in orange jumpsuits!! Mark started laughing, and said "Holy Crap Kristin, Where are We? They have prisoners here!" Needless to say, we left. As we were driving away, a worker came crawling out of the hole they dug for you. I think we were shocked into hysteria, we were laughing so hard. Justine and Kimber started asking questions about your funeral, if it was going to be weird like in the Tommy Boy movie. If we were going to have to grab a handful of dirt and say something. After that, I did just fine. In the pictures we look like we were more at a party, not a funeral. But I like to think you were having one heck of a party, and we got to crash it!!
I love you Grandma Sam, a bushel and a peck!!
~Kristin

P.S. Give Haven a hug for me!!

















Labels:

1 Comments:

At June 18, 2008 at 5:14 AM , Blogger Marsha said...

What a nice letter and a great way of remembering Grandma Sam. I'm happy for her too, I wish people could go to the other side when they want to, so there wouldn't be all that suffering at the end. Finally she got to go, you are right, Good for her !
Mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home